Monday, November 16, 2015

Syrian Refugee Update

As you may have read in my early blog post of the Syrian Refugee crisis,  there has been hundreds of thousands of Syrians fleeing their country due to civil wars, corrupt government and terrorism and other foreign countries have opened their countries to welcome tens of thousands of refugees.

However, a few months ago the United States was receiving much criticism for not being as welcoming and opening up our country to nearly as many refugees and having an extensive screening process for anyone we do let in. Why was this being done? To prevent the possibility of basically welcoming terrorists into this country that could portray himself or herself as a refugee and then basically be welcomed into our country. The media was harsh on the government and their decision to be selective and take extra caution even though it was to ensure the safety of Americans.

In the wake of recent events surrounding the terroristic attack in France killing over 100 people and leaving many more wounded, ISIS claimed responsibility for this terroristic attack and it was found that one terrorist got into certain countries by claiming to be a Syrian refugee. I think this was an eye opening finding for not only American but countries all over the world who have been generous in allowing hundreds of thousands of refugees into their countries. Since then, many state governors have come out publically saying that their state will not accept any refugees, Georgia is among those states. Michigan and Alabama were the first to refuse any refugees and many states have followed suit. Now, the acceptance of Syrian refugees will be even more limited and strict because of recent events.

Now, it is not fair to assume every Syrian refugee is a terrorist but there is a great risk that comes with inviting many foreigners to seek shelter in our country. What do you think bloggers, is it a good or a bad thing for these states to refuse any acceptance of Syrian refugees?


Read more about it here: http://abcnews.go.com/US/states-refuse-accept-syrian-refugees-wake/story?id=35231800

4 comments:

  1. I am pretty torn about this one because both sides of the issue are incredibly important and to be weighed with heavy consideration rather than impulsive decision making.....as someone who considers myself to be compassionate, friendly, and helpful, I know the importance of accepting refugees and offering the possibility of a better life and future. After all, that is what America has been doing for many many many ***many**** years, giving us the reputation as a melting pot of people and cultures by offering acceptance and opportunities. However, I have to say that as that person who is compassionate, loving, and helpful, I can put myself in the shoes of undoubtedly millions of people who feel as though America's gracious and opportunistic attitudes have been taken advantage of by refugees of all places. I think that now since there have been so many attacks upon countries and links back to refugees from Syria especially, Georgia's governor as well as other states' officials are beginning to feel the same way, too, and considering the possibility that opening borders may not actually be in everyone's best interest after all. The way the situation crosses me is that of course it is bad to deny acceptance of refugees, but for the sake of an entire country and its citizens, it is not, for lack of a better word, safe to accept refugees during this time in society. Not everyone from outside of the borders are going to be terrorists, but we never know who could turn out to be a wolf in sheep's clothing either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the recent attacks in Paris changed the minds of many supporters of the Syrian refugee influx. Naturally the media has turned it into a partisan debate. I am also a very compassionate person, especially for having been to places where people flee from as refugees...but I think accepting Syrians, based on their religion as well as our invasive historical policy within their country, is very problematic for our us and puts Americans at a greater risk. Of course I think the refugees should be welcomed somewhere safe, but unfortunately given our policies in the region (and the fact that we supported the regime against Assad) and our history with Islamic extremists, it would probably not be wise to welcome them into the United States.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anna Edmondson- "I think that with the recent Paris attacks, it has definitely swayed the opinion of those that are originally calling for more open borders. I would consider this a "war-time" situation where precautions such as not allowing refugees into our borders should be allowed. It was made blatantly clear that terrorist attacks are now aimed at DC, and those threats should not be discounted. Candidates such as Trump have expressed that a database for Muslim Americans should be enacted, but I feel as though that is too similar to previous events such as the Holocaust. I don't believe that there is an answer that can please everyone, but there are answers that can either endanger the country or make the country at the safest that it can be, especially with the recent Paris attacks."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its probably been seen by now, but the US has the most strenuous screening process for admitting refugees in the world. They basically already pick and choose who will be let into the country. I know this because of my experience working in the resettlement department of the International Rescue Committee as an intern. People sometimes wait in refugee camps around the world for years before they are selected. So the recent uproar about Syrian refugees arriving is basically moot. Politicians are using this event once again to stir the pot, and gain rapport with their high-spirited voter base, who may not know the first thing about how people are admitted into the United States

    ReplyDelete